Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tiffany Brown 'Quiet Noise'


Tiffany Brown is a talented painter and illustrator based in Canberra. I first became aware of her in 2008 when someone advised me that my milk bottles were being copied and hanging in the Art Gallery of NSW. What transpired was that Tiffany had painted several of my pieces which were incorporated in her entry in the Sulman Prize. In the finalists exhibition one of my customers in Canberra had seen the image and contacted me. I love that someone cared deeply enough to let me know about the use of one of our pieces albeit in a lovely work of art. The upside of this was that I got to become friends with Tiffany.

Her keen visual sense is played out in many of the works she paints. The above image comes from an exhibition we did together titled 'Quiet Noise'. She had 30 canvasses of varying sizes and they were representations of something we'd made at Bison along with flowers or fruit. Needless to say the show was a complete sellout within the space of an hour. As this image was the centrepiece for the exhibition I purchased it for my own collection. For some reason I see echoes of Georgia O'Keefe and references to the strength and purity of her work. Tiffany doesn't paint much at present and I'm trying to bribe her to consider another show. Time doesn't wait for anyone and I think she has so much to offer with her unique talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment