Monday, April 29, 2013

There's a chair in there...


As I'm a hopeless sucker for all things retro (actually not true... I'd like to think I was discerning but that's just my opinion) but I have a fixation for really great seating. Scouring the pages in Etsy I happened upon the above vintage vinyl chairs by B Brody Seating Company from Chicago (IL) They had unfortunately been sold but I then decided to look closer to home.


Anyone who has grown up in Australia within the last 50 years (or even longer) will be familiar with the pressed-metal, stackable chairs by Sebel. I have recently purchased ten and have had them re-painted in beautiful pairs. Some of you will have seen my red and pale grey versions in my Canberra store. They hold a particular appeal to me as when I was little and we sat in Sunday School I'd trace the pattern in the metal with my fingers, wishing the sermon would wind up quickly so my father would buy me Donald Duck comics. This fusion of nostalgia and good design is something I've tried to bring to my ceramic forms as well. There's nothing like a sense of comfortable familiarity to give an object justification to be in your home. I say that every time I make another purchase... now... repeat after me!



For those of you wondering how good these can look after a restoration have a peek at the first two slideshow images on my website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment